Donate Button
Follow us...

BILL
Federal-Aid Highway Act

HR-10660 (1956)

Public Law Number: 84-627

Disposition:
Enacted - Signed by the President

Once the president signs a bill, it becomes a law.

Full title...
An act to amend and supplement the Federal-Aid Road Act approved July 11, 1916, to authorize appropriations for continuing the construction of highways; to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to provide additional revenue from the taxes on motor fuel, tires, and trucks and buses; and for other purposes

Click to view...
Bill Text (Reading difficulty: Hard)

Sponsor & Key Contributors
George Fallon

Related Issues...
Highway Trust Fund



Other names for this bill...

This bill also is referred to as the National Interstate and Defense Highways Act.

Major provisions of this bill

This bill provided a way to pay for the U.S. Interstate Highway System by creating the Highway Trust Fund.

The Highway Trust Fund would pay for 90 percent of highway construction costs. States would pay the remaining 10 percent for their highways. The fund would get most of its money from a 3 cent per gallon tax on gasoline.

More information

You can find more details about this bill at GovTrack.us.

                   Tell us if we goofed                                                  Copyright